Adobe Creative Brief / Life Lessons

I summed up the three meanings of these three illustrations as move forward / move apart / move on. However, these words come with a lot of implied depth to them, which it is my job to get across through visual communication. If you read the introductory blog post for this brief just for Christmas, then you know that I am experimenting with putting in personal emotions into my work at the site of production in the hope that this adds more energy at the site of audiencing.

It was always my intention to have these figures walking through a hilly landscape which I adds more depth of perspective. Does this translate over to more subjective ideas of depth? For me it does, but that's a personal projection I'm not sure carries over. When I'm surrounded by these types of landscapes in real life, I find that they have a spiritual effect on me, appearing in my dreams. I project a lot of stuff that's awkward to verbalise onto them.

Another choice I made which may not seem directly linked illustration was that I paid more attention when choosing the music I was listening to as I went about my work this project. I listened to music that was the audio equivalent of what I wanted to visually communicate.

In terms of the technical aspect these illustrations, I feel that I’ve reached a natural endpoint for now at least developing my confidence using gouache paint. Due to the expense of the paint in comparison with eg acrylics, I get anxious about using too much, which influences the way I use it. As I reached the end of the project and found that I was running out of white paint yet again, this had a massive impact on my attitude towards what I was doing, and obviously the painting itself. The third painting is just so much flatter and saturated than the first two!

There was a slight mixed media element to what I doing, which I struggled with. I used white pencil crayon to draw the figures onto a digital print of the painting. This was after several mis-starts using different types of paper and chalk pens. Although I found a combination that worked, it ultimately meant I had to compromise on things like the texture in the final print.

Β