As I stated in my previous post, for our final final editorial illustration project, we had to pair up and art direct each other. This gave us a good opportunity to learn what it's like to have to manage someone else's work and be more empathetic with future clients.
I chose the article on the Ross Sea proposal, which I found in another copy of the New Scientist, because it is an interesting and important subject. The proposal is to make the Ross Sea a part of a Southern Ocean network of no-take marine reserves (as explained here). Maritime scenes and animals are the kind of images people like to look at, and so it would be entirely plausible that if I was a legit art director, I'd have picked this article out.
I asked Tasha for two roughs. Both of the ideas were really strong, but I liked the first one more because it did something photography couldn't. I was also sent a potential colour pallet for the background, which I liked, but I told Tasha that if she needed to change it to make the fish stand out, she should. It was only two hours later when I got the finished illustration.
My favourite thing about this project was that Tasha was so easy to work with. When you work with people, it's easy to get on each other's nerves, even when you're close mates and have a similar work ethic. As you grow older, this seems to happen less often, but it's always a possibility. We were able to separate out our friendship and our work, which meant that this project wasn't looming over every interaction we had for two weeks. So special thanks go to Tasha for helping me end the module on a high note.